Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Delving into the bowels of Pacifico

The owners have suggested that I liveaboard Pacifico while checking here out. This makes it much easier as she is moored 2 miles by river from the nearest road.




I started by getting the, some what tired, dink in the water and fitting the outboard. Bob who is helping the owners sell Pacifico was directing operations and more in hope than expectation gave here a squeeze and a couple of pulls. It was a forlorn hope. The motor and fuel had been sitting in the hot sun for more than a year. But it is a Yamaha and it started second pull.


Lesbia seems to run the Marina and lives in the Palapa right in front of Pacifico. Nothing is too much trouble for her and her breakfasts are great!



The Rio Dulce is a special area and although there is real borderline subsistance fishing and gathering class here everyone I have met so far is friendly and helpful. Even the two couples sitting next to me in the restaurant who were from North London. Small world indeed.

The boat needs work and I suppose I have to decide how much I have to do before going sailing and how much can be an ongoing project. It really needs rewiring the aft cabin needs gutting and refitting from the fibreglass out as it has termites and some nasty chemicals which were used in an effort to kill the beasties.


Still there are worse places in the world to be stuck for a while.


Pictures of termite poo in the next blog!

2 comments:

Barbette said...

Hi John - exciting as a trip to Guatamala might be - there must be boats available closer than that. Don't buy a bucket - you're not getting any younger!! Barbette (also known as Kathy Burgess from LSFC)

John Duncker said...

Hi Kathy

Yes I am not getting any younger and yes it is just too much to take on. I am pretty safety orientated and everywhere I look I find things that I would need to fix before taking the boat offshore.