Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Canadian Rockies Jasper to Banff and down to Radium Hot Springs

We drove up to Jasper and found a pretty little mountain town with lots of touristy stuff available in the shops. After watching the sun set
over the Continental Divide we found our basic campsite for the night. We discovered we had hit a big bank holiday weekend and every camp site for miles was booked solid. But we are OK as we have a generator, lots of water and a fridge freezer running off propane so living "off the grid" for a few days is not a problem.

Next day we drove down the Icefield Parkway, one of the top scenic drives in North America. This pic shows the Athabasca falls and the next the peculiar potholes
drilled down through the rock by the suspended particles in the water eddying round and round.




We briefly stopped at the Columbia Icefield, hundreds of square kilometres of ice, up to a thousand feet thick, and feeding eight glaciers. As it was cloudy and wet we skipped the bus trip
up the glacier and also decided not to hike it. The visitors centre was good but filled with Japanese and German tourists.

Banff was next, another mountain town in less spectacular sourroundings but better quality stuff in the shops. Some was so pricey viewing was by appointment only!

All in all this was a spectacular drive
amid proper mountains.















The weather forecasts now give the height at which snow can be expected and they have just had 20 cm of snow over the local hills. Brr Brr we are off south tomorrow.

CHARRO'S BIT

Just had a bout of Canadian Tummy, the boss has been busy cleaning up after me and trying to get me to eat and drink but I don't seem to be hungry or thirsty, just very very sleepy.

So they did it again, took me to a vet who shaved my leg and stuck needles in to me in a place with tiles everywhere. Still after a couple of bags of stuff called Ringers Lactate [ looked like water to me but the boss had to pay lots more than water would cost ] I felt a lot better. The nice people there even gave me some food that tasted of proper food and better still persuaded the boss to buy some. Hurray I get some tasty food again but I still don't feel like drinking anything. So as well as hand feeding me the boss squirts water into my mouth while I am on my side.

No comments: