Friday, January 18, 2008

January 18th Sanderson South Texas

We are parked in front of the court house in Sanderson, Terrel County South Texas as I write this after a morning spent on a ranger guided tour of Seminole canyon.

These canyons contain giant overhangs which have been inhabited for at least 8000 years and many are covered in cave paintings. We both made the tour although Carol still has a bad cough. The guide was as usual very knowledgeable and at times very funny. The caves we visited had lots of evidence of long term use and I found it very eerie to put my hand on a rock "table" covered in deep scores where bone knives had been worked, holes where grains and nuts had been ground and the surface finished with a deep dark patina, all of this done many thousand years ago.


Some of the theories put forward by the "experts" [Timothy Francis Leary ?] on the cave paintings suggest that the shamans were tripping on some LSD like substance and had flying dreams seeing the arms as wings. However the guide put forward a convincing argument that this was the case.


John's Bit My replacement Yak profile was flight tested last Sunday and does very nice square loops in knife edge. Not something I had seen before. This model was supplied FOC by OMP as they acknowledged that there was a wing tube problem with some kits.

Charro's BitThey finally found me a nice piece of grass. Tonight I got to walk on something green and soft rather than WalMart car parks. The big fat one is strangely drawn to these car parks with two or three visits every week. The boss got me some new medicine while we were down at the seaside and I am getting some tasty bits of food in with the usual dry rabbit droppings so things are looking up a little. I like this new way of going for a walk. I go as far as I can and as soon as I give a little stagger they put me in my carriage and I get pushed around the rest of the way. The big fat one gets to push mostly which suits me as the boss needs me to keep and eye on her. I don't like her cough one little bit. If it had been me coughing my lungs up I would have been down the vets at the speed of light. However she is self medicating with funny smelling footbaths. There is nothing wrong with her feet as far as I can see.

No comments: