Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jan 9th 2008 South Padre Island


The view from Amberjacks restuarant.

We are staying at the Isla Blanca State RV Park on the South tip of Padre Island, for a few days before heading up to Arizona and Quartzsite. Charro has been to the vet again which he hates but it looks like it might be just a bladder infection and some specific antibiotics should help. His medical file is now pretty thick and includes UK history, several US vet’s comments and his British passport which always impresses the vets over here.

After a few shaky days Charro now has his own personal carriage. We have been working on adapting a bicycle trailer and he had his maiden voyage in it last night. It is quite remarkable how quickly he learns to accept new things. He walked up the ramp, and after trying to get off the front soon realised that we were expecting him to lay down. Soon we were off around the park with him enjoying the new smells and sounds. Our progress attracted lots of comments and we were feeling like having a sign made to tell his story. Carol has had 14 years of explaining about white shepherds and usually leaves it to me now. His carriage will allow us to range further with him and if he gets tired he can hop on for a ride. And we don’t have to worry about over walking him, as he just keeps going till he collapses.

Carol’s bit

Every time Charro goes to the vet I think it is for the last time, seems it’s not yet though. Each vet I take him to adds his own opinion, but it always seems to be for the best. It’s possible that the bladder infection has caused inflammation in the collapsing disc, which is why he is reluctant to walk, having his spleen out in February has compromised his immune system, so he is prone to infection. The vet has recommended cranberry powder, which I have used before, and I will add pro-biotics to counter the negative effect of anti-biotics. I just have to juggle them at opposite times of the day.
The vets here seem to be more interested in the animal than making money, they always give a thorough examination and don’t charge a lot. This last one took over an hour and charged me £30. I got the antibiotics from Wal-Marts for £2. The vet was very open to Naturopathic medicine and sent me to the local health shop ( a proper one) to get the stuff that Charro needs.
I’ve always had to fight with the British vets, about using drugs, very expensive ones, and using my own medicine.It has cost me a fortune for them to confirm what I already knew most of the time, but x-rays and blood tests back up any suspicions.
He is over 14 yrs old now, and in very good health apart from this disc. The dog trolley is a godsend, we can go further now and take him with us, I won’t leave him alone, he has been stuck to my side since he was 7 weeks old, and he would feel abandoned now and unhappy if I changed his security, and I owe him plenty.
All the training that he has had in the past, and experiences that he has had, make it easy for him to understand when I ask something new of him, he soon realised what to do with his trolley, and also signalled us when he wanted to get out and walk. I hope that this will give us more freedom and buy Charro more time.

BEFORE






AND AFTER MODIFICATIONS HAD BEEN MADE


No comments: