Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pioneer Park and a days flying on my birthday close to the Arctic Circle.

Pioneer Park

We visited a large old time park in Fairbanks filled with old log cabins
. These cabins have been moved to the park when they were replaced with a newer building. many were over 100 years old. Nowadays they are still in use, some as shops some as information centres. The large sternwheeler
in the centre is gently decaying but is being used as a home for a giant diorama showing life on the local rivers around a 100 years ago.








61 Years old and still playing with toy airplanes

We arrived in Fairbanks Alaska last week and as usual I was hoping to fly with the local club. The welcome from the Midnight Sun RC Club was just outstanding. I was even given Marty, the presidents, personal key to the flying field gate and invited to fly any time it suited me. The club has about 30 members and operates a flying field for wheeled and float-equipped model aircraft. At about 120 miles from the Arctic Circle flying is mostly a summer activity but they do have a January 1 Fun Fly using a local Truck Centre with a serious heating system and large car park.

After a shorts and Tshirt day yesterday it was back to jeans and a fleece for today but we went flying anyway.
I was flying my OMP YAK but blew my only OS no 8 plug on start up. [ Note to self Repeat 100 times “ I must not plug the glow into 12 volts.” ]. With the field including large stretches of water
I was hoping to try a water tail touch
but the plug culled from my OS 15 was past it’s best buy date and I was not getting clean transitions from low throttle so chickened out.
Carol got some good pics though.















CHARRO'S BIT

The fat one is getting lots of exercise pushing my trolley around these days. I have put on a little weight after the boss lady has fished out some real food and cooked it for me. The warm fish tastes great and I eat it like a proper dog, 30 seconds and it is gone. My legs are a little better and I am getting out of my trolley and walking a bit. She who must be a obeyed makes me get back in though.


Had a bath a few days ago and all the local chicks are making comments about my beautiful fluffy champagne coat. I am one 'hot' dog.

No comments: