Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Dec. 5th. Test flight of my new Toy A Yak 3D Profile


This post is for the RC Modellers. I just finished my new model a Ohio Model Products ARTF Yak 65 in. span 3D profile. Engine OS 120 AX Prop APC 17x6 Servos Futaba 4 x 3152 digitals + 1 mini on throttle.

This came by UPS and was but together in the craft workshop at Bentsen Palms RV Park as it does not fit in our motorhome, at least not on the table.

I finished it this morning, ran a tank through the engine then flew the thing. Some models impress from the first seconds of flight and this one certainly did that. It is very easy to hold in the hover, continuous knife edge loops on less than half throttle were a doddle and precision manoeuvres such as the Cuban 16 looked good [ to me at least ] The rudder is exceptionally effective, in fact I think I will need some exponential to desensitise it.

It is clearly overpowered with the OS 120 AX but you can never be too rich, too thin or have too much power. I like the way it looks in the air but it does not always attract positive comments on the ground. The large black and white checks on the underside contrast well with the topside which is pretty important if you lose it low down. I love the way it flies. It is the best hooligan tool I have had on the end of my sticks to date.

If I write this off tomorrow I will have to buy another one.

2 comments:

Victor said...

John
Now where are you going to store that in the RV. Looks like you are going to need a roof box for the toys soon however the heat might be a problem for the fuel. Possibly and airconditioned trailer?

John Duncker said...

We have underfloor storage bins similar to luggage lockers on modern coaches.

The model was chosen to fit the largest locker.

BUT WE COULD TOW A LIGHT TRAILOR!

More toys! On second thoughts this one will do. Plus a few small models to fill the gaps around the big one.